Last night I dreamt I delivered three babies
In a deserted mansion
Near the cape.
It was set like a horror movie
Lots of French doors.
Wide open rooms, dimly lit
And empty
Except for pregnant women in separate rooms
Lying on a mat, bellies swollen, aching
To give birth.
Outside there was a storm racking the siding
And raking the shutters.
In the beating rain and driving wind,
My cell phone wouldn’t work.
In the morning I had three healthy infants
Cooing up at me.
Although their mothers still laid prone, useless,
[lifeless??]
On yoga mats on the floor.
I couldn’t get any reception.
Outside the sea was calm and the sun was hot.
I’m not making this up.
It was weird, abnormal, eerie.
What dreams.
Tonight I watched a friendly bartender
Measure alcohol into a cool glass and finish it off with
Salt and a lime.
It felt like a dream
I’d had before.
What dreams.
Especially watching that
Squeezed lime slide down the inside of that
Beaded, sweaty glass.
It made my tongue pucker in anticipation
And my mouth fill with saliva.
My friend and I talked about
men,apartments,cats,dogs,families,babies,relationships,jobs,toothpaste,everything
And somehow I navigated myself home to collapse in bed
Pondering sleep.
To sleep, perchance to Dream; Aye there’s the rub
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come.
What dreams?
I don’t know what you want from me.
But that’s okay, I guess.
I don’t know what I want from myself.
How can I, when I’m dragged in different directions,
Waiting for a phone call or email that
Refuses to come, waiting
For someone important to acknowledge my worth.
All I want to do right now is to lay
Under a bright canopy of leaves and branches,
With you lightly caressing my hand,
Staring up at the pages of green dreams with dappled
sunlight notes
Scribbled on their surface
As they shimmer, shiver in the sun-choked breeze.
Someone tell me I can suspend this July.
Tell me I am exactly enough for you,
At least until tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment