Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cinema for Singles, Cooking, & Creativity

There's a certain art that needs to be mastered in going to the movies alone. I wouldn't say that I'm an expert at all - but I've definitely come upon a few tricks that make a trip to the cinema for singles live-able even enjoyable. I think there are a couple of obvious, key points to outline. First, one must go to a matinee preferably on a week-day, and if this is not possible - the earliest matinee on a Saturday or Sunday will do. This is cheaper, and you might only have to share the theater with a handful of people, of which there are very few couples - and if there are couples - they're 50 and they don't seem to pay much attention to a singleton. Second, never apologize for your single-ness. Look the cashier in the eyes, say clearly and defiantly, "Julie and Julia for one!!!" and dare them to look uncomfortable for you. Maybe even glare and cock an eyebrow at them - and stare them down until they look away first! (They're probably so bored that they could care less that you're there alone.) Thirdly, march confidently into the theater and scan the theater quickly. This is important. Make a decision - center section or side section - and just claim an aisle seat. Lastly, if you have something to do until the movie begins, whip out that iphone, grocery list, open your candy, busy yourself with something until the lights go out. The lights go out - settle in - get comfortable - you're good. Now, as soon as the movie ends - credits roll - you either get out of there immediately OR stay and study the credits for a while - either way you avoid the crowd. These are my thoughts.

Also, as a side note - this trend with HUGE hand-bags must just infuriate store clerks and movie clerks alike. They say no food or drink brought into the theater? I just bought a purse that I could fit a meal for four in. I'm not kidding. I'm tempted to pop my own popcorn, slip it into my purse and smuggle it in. Already I'm smuggling in candy that I can buy from the vending machine in my apartment building. Huge purses = the enemy of commercialism - encouraging shoplifting, smuggling, and deceit!

Anyway, yesterday I went to Julie & Julia. I loved it. For people who don't know what this movie is about - basically this woman loves cooking and commits to cooking her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I have this sort of secret desire to be an amazing chef and go to cooking school. I love watching cooking shows - they make my mouth salivate with all the colorful and flavorful combinations that they make. And what a great challenge - to follow in the footsteps of Julia Child, learning as well as documenting each step of it! Now I kind of have an urge to buy the cookbook. Tomorrow I'm cooking for my parents - Indonesian Chicken (complete with peanut butter and peanuts) and I think I'm going to try a couple more recipes out on them too!

This movie increased my desire to do something creative again. Cooking is a very creative art. The main character blogs about her experiences in cooking - a blog I would love to read and a blog I would love to be able to create. (This won't happen - don't get your hopes up.) On a recent trip home I've also been reminiscing my ventures into the ceramics and painting studio and wishing that I had time to improve my skills. With both arts I feel like I was just getting started - just getting in the groove of things - and then I had to stop abruptly and I have no time to start up again. Therefore I've decided that after grad school - sometime - I don't know when - but sometime I will go back and take additional classes to complete a degree in Fine Arts whether it be full-time, part-time, or one class a year. I also feel like my writing skills have been severely lacking lately - I need to hone those so that I can get back to being creative and prosey and poetic.

All for now!
Cheers!
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment