Well. It's been almost a month since my last post. One doesn't really need to wonder what has been going on in my life. School, work, eat, put off reading for a couple of hours (TV), finally half-heartedly read my assignments, TV, fall asleep, wake up, rinse repeat. I fear this will be a rather hodge-podge post as I catch my devoted readers (the two or three of you) up on my day to day happenings. Let's boil everything down to a very short, concise description of what's up in the world of Emily.
Roommate: Man-boys, you will love her. If coming to see Emily in Milwaukee isn't enough of an incentive for you (besides the MSO, MAM, and Miller and other breweries) - perhaps the off-chance that you will get to see a brunette babe with dark eyes in her natural environment will persuade you. Although she has a boyfriend, and is often away on the weekends, she is fairly sociable and fun. I think she's a little spoiled - but she does her dishes (when she can bring herself to make something more than cheddarwurst hot dogs, carrots and ranch dressing (her culinary tastes leave something to be desired)), and she's not a morning person either - so we stay out of each other's way and we get along fine.
Men in Milwaukee have recently discovered my existence. It's an interesting feeling to be pursued - something I've felt kind of anxious about since most of my relationships have been with guys I've been friends with for a while. I successfully dissuaded one guy (knock on wood) - and somehow got an offer for dinner when I wasn't even trying. We'll see if that happens. If it doesn't, I honestly don't care right now. I feel healthy and single and independent and confident, and the only time it bothers me is when I have to go to my friends' weddings solo. It's flattering to be pursued but I've definitely learned that there is a difference between being persistent and being irritating and needy and desperate almost. Something to keep in mind.
Food: I know one of my fellow bloggers has commented on this a couple of times - but every time I walk into a Whole Foods grocery store - I fall in love a little more. Specifically the produce section. It's just beautiful. So much green - the cilantro, basil, 4 different kinds of lettuce and spinach, and then the little hints of color like carrots and eggplants and radishes and peppers. Seriously, I think I could take that freezer, make a photograph of it - and hang it in my kitchen and I would always feel content and happy. I see the produce section and I immediately feel healthy and happy, like I want to dig into a really terrific market salad. I've been on this recipe kick lately. Last night I made Pumpkin pasta - with sausage, mushrooms, onions, sage, nutmeg and cinnamon. Soo good and so flavorful - nutty and exotic almost. YUM! At Whole Foods I bought duck breasts and bay scallops to try out. The duck breast cost me a ton of money, I think mostly because they didn't have them onhand - fresh - so I had to get frozen ones from a gourmet company, therefore I bought bay scallops which were much cheaper than sea scallops. I hope it doesn't matter too much. And then I couldn't resist getting some white wine to go with the scallops...
Job: Interviewed for another one within the department. Didn't get it. I was jipped- my boss basically told me that she didn't want to consider me for the other job because I was so good at this one and I knew the system etc. LAME. The other job was a Gallery Assistant job doing things I might actually want to do in life - cataloging, accessioning in work, hanging shows, lighting, working on a complex data system. But no, for now I'm still in the slide room, scanning, typing, watching TV. :P Although I suppose I should be happy - I did get a raise.
Exercise: I've enrolled in a Yoga class which meets every Wednesday for an hour. I do it with some of my Art History friends and I really like it a lot. The first day kicked my ass, I was so exhausted and sore afterwards, and hungry - I immediately followed up the workout with a burrito and napped the rest of the night. The past couple of times have been really good though, I enjoy the exercises for the most part and I'm pretty good at some of the tough ones because I'm small and flexible. That makes me happy. :) Finally a sport or exercise I'm not embarrassed to do in public!
Traveling: I'm getting restless. With three friends abroad already, one that's headed to Spain in a week or so, and another one planning a huge holiday in May, I feel restless, frustrated, and left out. There has been talk of some Art History students going to Spain to meet our friend who is teaching there for a year... but I don't know if I can pull that off financially. But I've never been to Spain. I also have dreams of going abroad this summer to do an internship or fellowship or something.... but those are hard to find and get in to of course, although there is one I would consider in Italy... I recently watched a movie with the woman from My Big Fat Greek Wedding in which the main character is a tour guide around Greece. The movie isn't a classic (My Life in Ruins) but I loved the Greek scenery (and want to go back someday for more than a 36 hour stay) and I loved the caricatures that were made of all your typical tour guide people. The funny guy, the slutty divorcees, the obnoxious Americans, the old woman who steals stuff, the stupid American backpacker, the pretentious Brits and their bratty daughter, the Australians who drink all the time. The only thing that was missing were the Japanese tourists... hmmm. As my parents were really into the tours at one time, I've had experiences with most of these people - especially the funny guy and the slutty divorcees. There's also an entertaining scene where Americans try to bargain in a Greek market for cheap souvenirs and the man tells them something like "I could give you authentic Greek gifts handmade from my grandmother, but all you want is this shit that's made in China." hehe. I enjoyed it - but the movie won't win awards any time soon. I think I'll just have to be content with going to Atlanta for three days in October. :( Domestic trip - but hey - it'll be nice and warm there and I get to see my bestest friend ever!
That's all for now!
Cheers!
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment