Monday, June 8, 2009

ramblings...

This summer, I have resolved to become more active and conscious of little things I can do within my daily routine that may encourage or lead to exercise.  Those who read this blog know that I would rather do just about anything than work out.  The idea of running is painful to me.  Literally, the last time I was forced to run, I felt dizzy, and I must have been so dehydrated that my throat felt raw and I could taste blood.  I wish I were kidding.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) this has brought to my attention the fact that I am sadly out of shape.  Since going to grad school I have not been eating correctly, I've been taking public transportation instead of burning calories by walking, and stress makes me eat more snacks and things that are bad for me.  It's hard to get out of those habits but I am working on it.  

I'm proud to say that since May 18th (excluding the week I took off from work) I have walked to and from my work every day.  Round trip this is probably about an hour.  So, that's not much.  But for someone who has the option of jumping on a bus and getting to campus in about 7 minutes, this is a lifestyle change.  And it's good.  I've also begun to take the stairs from the first floor up, and as I live on the 6th floor, it's quite a hike.  I'm always huffing and puffing when I get to the top - but I've noticed a bit of a positive change already in my decreasing wheezing as I enter my floor.  Anyway, I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy walking.  Whether it's walking to and from work or hiking (or rambling as the Brits might say ;) ) I really value that time to be sort of "one with my thoughts."  I remember when I lived in England, one of my favorite things was walking to the University alone in the mornings when everything was still and fresh and probably dewy from the previous night.  I also had friends who really believed that you only understand the lay of the land by walking it - dragging out the London city map and finding your way through busy streets to museums or Piccadilly Circus etc.  I liked to feel more metropolitan, for some reason the Tube just fascinated me.  I loved that busy, sophisticated people disappeared underground and then popped out on the other side of the city, striding to their other offices or homes.  I think I loved it because it's similar to an airport - it's busy and chaotic, and there's so many people to watch, so many stories converging, and even though it's completely underground and dirty, it's so full of life, it's a whole different and strange world of cement and passages!  But I digress.  

I'm converted.  Give me a map and I'll walk anywhere.  I also love walking outside because I'm an observer.  Today I was walking home and the wind was rustling through the trees and tossing new raindrops from the thunderstorm to the ground.  The sun caught the drops and made them sparkle in their own little torrent of yellow.  One early Saturday morning last year when I was walking from Farwell to Baker, I had a moment with the ginkgo tree behind Valdres.  It was just the right time in the fall where its leaves had turned yellow, and I had caught it at the exact moment that it was showering its leaves to the ground.  It's hard to explain, but it really hit me that beautiful moments like these are things in which to take joy.  It's probably because I have a healthy imagination, or was an English major, or even a romantic, that I was so grateful for that moment and felt that it was truly magical.  It felt like a good omen on the day.  I remember stopping and just watching the golden leaves literally raining down, and knowing that that day would be a special, great day.  And then I picked up some leaves and headed home to Baker.  

Next week I get my bike and I'm really interested in how that will affect my observations and attitudes about walking to work.  I'm afraid that in biking, I'll lose awareness of what's in the space around me and use the bike specifically to get from one place to another quickly.  I've already planned out that I can sleep in 15 or 20 extra minutes when I use my bike in the mornings.   But it also means that if I wished, I could travel farther on the Oak Leaf Trail right behind my apartment, and perhaps explore some more parks and green spaces that Milwaukee may offer.  

Sort of a weird post, but I think walking has really impacted me this week, and I'm enjoying the trek to and from my apartment and the lake as well as to campus.  And I figure any little itty bitty change I can make in my lifestyle to lead a more healthy life is a step (no pun intended) in the right direction.

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment